#MommyTalks - Being A Working Mom



People are often quick to judge mothers, working or stay-at-home, it doesn't really matter. As hard as it is to admit, I have done it too in the past albeit unknowingly. Maybe it's a reflex action kind of a thing in our species. We are quick to evaluate the other, often subconsciously but evaluate we must. 

Anyways, gradually with years, I have seen, realised actually, how hard it is to be a woman let alone a mother. So, I try not to anymore. And now that I'm a mother, the unbelievable levels of difficulty that this role entails is something that I learn every single day. And I'm just in the eighth month of this journey.


We are quick to evaluate the other, often subconsciously but evaluate we must. 

Taking care of a sick child is a full-time job and it becomes even harder when the child in question is an infant. These past few days reminded me that it is going to be hard balancing a career and my role as a mother. Yes, despite the support system. It isn't going to be easy. And it scares me. What if I have to give something up?

A sick child inevitably needs her mother. Even your first reaction would be to reach out to your mother on your sick days so it's but natural for a child to do so. The same was the case with M, my eight-month-old when she got her first viral last week. In order to take care of her, I decided to work from home. And tell you what, it turned out to be one of the hardest multitasking I ever did. No, not because I didn't want to but because of the huge ask of both roles which ended up overwhelming me.

Taking care of a sick child is a full-time job and it becomes even harder when the child in question is an infant.


Ever since M started going to the crèche, she has been a little clingy. She just doesn't want to go to anyone else once she sees me. As for me, after keeping her in the crèche for 8 to 9 hours, I too want to be with her as much as possible. It goes without saying thus that when she was down with fever, I just wanted to focus on her because I knew how much more she needed me.

Motherhood is hard. It isn't easy with or without support.

But I had work to do as well which I didn't want to neglect either. I don't want to be that team member who doesn't work. I never asked for special treatment while I was pregnant and I don't want to now. I want to do my work and do it well. 

Truth is, I don't want to lack in either of my roles. But it was tough. Even though I had my mom at home last week, inspite of all the support, I must admit I found it really, really tough to balance both.

Motherhood is hard. It isn't easy with or without support. And the bulk of the load falls on the mom because a child needs her more especially on sick days.


Honestly, after my experience last week, I have a new found respect for mothers who work from home. I don't know how they balance everything. It has been a tough couple of days for me. Taking a call when suddenly M was crying. Or, trying to feed M before a meeting but she refusing to eat. It wasn't a cake walk.

Truth is, it's not easy to juggle so many things but juggle I must.

All this just reminds me that this journey of being a parent, a mother is going to be demanding too. At least, if I want to balance everything I do along with it. But I shouldn't give in to the stress. I had made a promise to myself that I wouldn't let motherhood alter my life such that I stop recognising the reflection in the mirror. If anything motherhood should add to my life and not take away. So, in the midst of all the packed days, tireless nights and emotional hugs, I need to fulfil that promise to myself, for me and for everyone I hold dear.

Are you a parent who works from home? How do you do it? Any tips?



#MondayMusings
Linking to #MondayMusings by Everyday Gyaan

Labels: ,