Looking For Writing Motivation?



Isn’t it wonderful when your body is in perfect harmony with your soul? Life gets a tad easier when that happens. Yes, when life’s wheels roll coherently without glitch. But that is a Utopian state, isn’t it?

For the past few weeks, I have been in a state which can only be described as being miles off Utopia, far-flung from the less than perfect status quo that defines life at most times.

Let’s just say that what I’ve actually been able to do has been the complete opposite of what I’ve been wanting to do; as if both were being driven by opposing energies. The end result, well, nothing substantial or to the heart’s liking being realized. It’s exhausting, this battle between the heart and the body. While the former yearns to tick off certain things, the lack of bodily strength prevents ideas from being uncorked. Fatigue, mental or physical, can curb all your wonderful plans.

But has this happened to you as well, ever?

Well, I’m sure it has, for it isn’t occurring for the first time with me either. Exhaustion eventually catches up, a truth I have learnt only too well.

Writing or blogging is a huge part of my life. I tend to get anxious on days I’m unable to make time for it. So, you can very well guess how restless I have been for the better part of the past two weeks now. Being unable to come up with posts or write in response to some great prompts has been nagging at me. Somehow I hate it when writing becomes a casualty in the battle between the heart and the body.

No editorial or writing calendar can rescue you from these bouts of being under the weather. And at times, the real reason could just be the missing muse disguised as fatigue. I’m not sure which one it is now though. Perhaps a combination of both? But the fact is, when you end up in the clutches of either, or both, writing becomes extremely difficult. How do I know that? Well, it has taken me over 3 hours to write this much. So you can imagine, can’t you?

But I have still tried and you can do so too, when at the same threshold that is. As they say, one step at a time. Just one step at a time, my friend.

I have had just about enough of the blank piece of paper staring back at me. I am not budging today till I have inked something meaningful. So, with the discomfort of pains all over, aided by a muse that refuses to cooperate, I’ve completely surrendered myself.

My heart desperately wants to hit the publish button today, come what may, and if you are reading this then I’ve probably succeeded in doing that. It may not be the best piece I have ever written but the satisfaction of having written something is what I’m going back with.

I leave you with a few quotes that could help you write, motivate you, if you ever go through the same.


Keep on beginning and failing. Each time you fail, start all over again, and you will grow stronger until you have accomplished a purpose…not the one you began with perhaps, but one you’ll be glad to remember. – Anne Sullivan Macy

It is perfectly okay to write garbage—as long as you edit brilliantly. – C. J. Cherryh

A blank piece of paper is God’s way of telling us how hard it to be God. – Sidney Sheldon

To live a creative life we must first lose the fear of being wrong. – Joseph Chilton Pearce

The desire to write grows with writing. – Desiderius Erasmus

A sentence a day keeps the doldrums at bay. – Nikki Broadwell

We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect – Anaïs Nin

I must write it all out, at any cost. Writing is thinking. It is more than living, for it is being conscious of living – Anne Morrow Lindbergh

This is how you do it: You sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until it’s done. It’s that easy, and that hard. – Neil Gaiman

A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people. – Thomas Mann


***

Linking this to #MondayMusings#MicroblogMondays






Labels: